On August 9, PBS will broadcast Yuja Wang’s performance at the Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert on their series, Great Performances. The annual open-air concert at Austria’s Schönbrunn Palace will premiere Friday, August 9 at 9 p.m. on PBS (check local listings), pbs.org/gperf and the PBS Video app. The program features popular selections from both European and American composers and is dedicated to the musical connection between continents: the old world of Europe and the new world of America.
Gustavo Dudamel conducts the Vienna Philharmonic in the annual concert special for the second time. The program includes Leonard Bernstein’s Overture to Candide and American classics such as John Philipp Sousa’s “The Stars and Stripes Forever.” Ms. Wang joins the orchestra for George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue and performs Chopin’s Waltz Op. 64 No. 2 for an encore.
Music Selections and Composers:
- Overture to “Candide” – Leonard Bernstein
- “Rhapsody in Blue” – George Gershwin
- Waltz in C sharp minor, op.64 #2 – Frédéric Chopin
- “Casablanca Suite” – Max Steiner
- “The Stars and Stripes Forever” – John Philipp Sousa
- Adagio for Strings – Samuel Barber
- “The Star-Spangled Banner March,” op. 460 – Carl Michael Ziehrer
- Symphony No. 9 in E minor, op. 95 “From the New World,” 4th movement, allegro con fuoco – Antonín Dvořák
- “Hoe-Down” from “Rodeo” – Aaron Copland
- “Viennese Spirit” waltz – Johann Strauss (Jr.)
Photo: Max Parovsky